BPSM completed the Concept Design stage of the new Cooma Sports Hub – a multi-purpose indoor recreation building and supporting facilities for the Cooma in the Snowy Monaro region of New South Wales. The Sports Hub has been designed adjacent to the existing Monaro High School and will be utilised by both the school and the wider community.
The Snowy Monaro Region is an active sporting community which is currently lacking in sporting facilities. This regional sporting hub will meet both local and regional needs, servicing not only Cooma, but also the surrounding towns of Berridale, Bombala, Jindabyne and several smaller villages.
The new sports hub will cater for a variety of sports, both indoor and outdoor, in a single precinct in Cooma (Snowy Oval precinct). The indoor facility will host basketball and netball, in particular, and allow local clubs to hold regional meets and carnivals. Similarly, the synthetic athletics track will also be fit for local and regional meets as well as state level training.
Overall, the sports precinct will improve the profile of the region, and increase sport participation. These compounding factors should reduce the need for local athletes to travel.
The exciting new facilities will include:
- Triple court sports hall with natural lighting, ventilation, and solar panels and heating
- 400m synthetic athletics track
- An AFL standard sports fields and flood lighting
- Clubhouse/storage facility
- Seating/standing, and grassed spectator’s areas
- Canteen and first aid room
- Facilities to support the sports hall, including change rooms with accessible facilities, hard and soft parking for 200 cars
- Supporting external service infrastructure.