Tooth offered the malt-house for sale in March 1854 but it didn’t attract a buyer. He re-advertised the following year, pointing out that the property was well-adapted ‘for a Steam Flour Mill, Brewery, or any manufactory requiring space.’ The malt-house wasn’t sold until August 1863 when Robert Walker purchased the property for ₤1,400. Walker was the owner of Walker’s Brewery on the corner of Collins and Barrack Streets.
In 1874 Walker leased the malt-house to Joseph Bidencope and he converted it into a hat factory. Bidencope had been exporting hats to the Australian mainland for some time and had decided to expand his operations. He installed steam-powered machinery which allowed the production of thirty dozen hats per day. The hat factory operation only lasted about five years before the building reverted back to a malt-house.
The land on the north-east corner of the malt-house was acquired by the Hobart City Council to allow construction of the Harrington Street Deviation (today’s Sandy Bay Road) in 1886/87. The road and retaining wall have a slight kink in their alignment that was necessary in order to avoid the tall brick chimney stack at the rear of the malt-house.
James Boag, the Launceston based brewer, also owned the malt-house for a period in the early 1900s.
– Excerpt from amateur historian, Geoff Ritchie’s, blog “On the Convict Trail”.